Thursday, December 04, 2008

Best of 2008 Countdown, Part 1

Over the course of the next few days (maybe weeks) I'm going to start briefly listing my thoughts for the Best ALBUMS of 2008. I stress the word "album" because I believe the art of making a complete album has nearly died. The number of albums that are worthy of repeat listens from front to back are increasingly few and far between. I don't expect each track to be a single, but a few gems around a mound of crap doesn't cut it for me.


Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (Sub-Pop)

I previously wrote how excited I was after listening to this self-titled debut back in May. Since then, nothing has changed in my mind. On the other hand the band's profile has risen significantly. Glowing reviews abound for the debut album, and is already on most people's year-end lists. It's a complete album that shows range on a multitude of levels. I honestly don't know how many times I've listened to the album, but it now feels familiar like it's been around for more than a number of months.

"Quiet Houses"


Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (Jagjaguwar)

Another artist that I wrote about back in May, it's finally the right time of year to listen to Bon Iver's exceptional debut. It was written and recorded in a cabin in the winter months, and although I'm in sunny L.A. I kind of wish I could listen to this on a mellow night with a burning fire someplace (not a wildfire, of course). This will be required listening for many Fall and Winters to come.

"Wisconsin" (iTunes-only bonus track)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The number of albums that are worthy of repeat listens from front to back are increasingly few and far between. I don't expect each track to be a single, but a few gems around a mound of crap doesn't cut it for me."

What's this all about? You'd think if a band is going to record 12 songs anyway, they'd still try to make them good. But people are increasingly suggesting that they are putting all their efforts into 2 or 3, and then just throwing something together to make the album. This doesn't make sense to me.

I have been noticing myself that when I listen to an album these days I only tend to REALLY like 2, 3 or 4 of the tracks, whereas when I was younger I would frequently like 10 out of 12 or sometimes even all 12. I've been putting this down to my own higher standards, and the fact that I listen to so much music that it is harder to impress me. Am I wrong, and it's actually the fault of the new digital media? Cos frankly, it's not just new albums that are like this.