Thursday, February 15, 2007

Let's Go Eclectic

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about electronic, techno, house, et al. Usually, I hear something randomly and I either think it's crap and don't understand its appeal, or end up liking something because it's easily accessible. Neither of those things really apply in the case of The Knife's Silent Shout - widely considered one of the best albums of 2006.

I was skeptical from the beginning about this record. I downloaded it after seeing it's high rating on Pitchfork and it sat in iTunes unplayed for months. I need the mood to strike, and how would I even know what that mood was when I had no idea what this album would sound like. The brother and sister duo (Olof and Karin Dreijer) from Stockholm, Sweden "take inspiration from vintage synth pop and forward-thinking electronic music, crafting a sound that is equally unsettling, playful, and beautiful." From what I understand the previous work of this duo is much easier to get into and has poppier tendencies.

I found that after a few listening sessions I enjoyed Silent Shout more and more. It took a couple times through for my ear to adjust and tune into the various layers of sound produced by The Knife. Karin's vocals are unique - to say the least. Not only does she sound unlike any female singer (outside of Bjork) her voice is "treated as another instrument in the arrangements, they're layered, pitch-shifted, and tweaked until there's almost nothing left but tones and emotions." If you want quick hits listen to "Silent Shout," "We Share Our Mother's Health," "Marble House," and "Like A Pen."

3 comments:

DJ Tanner said...

you forgot to mention that The Knife are at the forefront of the Haunted House (ie: house music that has haunting sounds) and actually probably started the genre. I love this album, esp "The Captain" and "Marble House," and it is one of a handful of electronic releases that when I put it on, i listen to the entire disc everytime. Anyway...that's my two cents.

Stew

dzimman said...

YOU ARE A GOD!!!

dzimman said...

A ROCK GOD THAT IS!!!